Workforce Enablement with a Modern Platform
Streamlining workflow is important in the insurance industry as firms struggle with a retiring workforce and scarcity of talent to attract into the industry.
Client Claims department was operating in a very inefficient manner, with a lot of rekeying, manual cutting and pasting from multiple Cobol applications to process a claim. The current legacy systems were very inflexible, making any required change, very risky and costly. Lastly the client had a number of staff nearing retirement, the younger generations are expecting to work on newer systems and the documentation of the current system was inadequate.
Replacing a core system brings a number of risks.
First, you are generally replacing a stable system that has grown over 20 years that users manage to get their work done. However, over those 20 years many manual workarounds have been introduced. In fact, there are personnel who undertake the system gaps my manually printing and rekeying data.
Second, due to the fact that the company writes workers compensation Insurance, the Claims users need continual access to the data from the legacy system to be accessible in the new platform. Therefore, a Data conversion is an essential part of the project. Data conversion is generally the toughest part of a Claims implementation, especially if you are converting data from legacy systems to a new system.
The desired outcome for the client was to implement a modern off the shelf Claims system from Insurity that can facilitate a simpler STP Claims process, enable enterprise Claims Analytics, reduces manual Input/rekeying and drive down the IT cost of supporting legacy Cobol and Mainframe systems.
The system needed to be as stable as the former system, with a 99.99% uptime as the client essentially cannot work without the ability to process Claims.
- Users are happier using modern technologies
- Rekeying has dropped by 95%
- Multiple legacy systems have been retired
- System Changes now take hours versus weeks
- Claims Analytics models are much easier to build and run
- System Documentation exists making new user training faster
- Audits are much faster and simpler to achieve
RCG Global Services was chosen to undertake the implementation of the system.
Due to the criticality of getting the project right, RCG assembled a key project team consisting of the software vendor, RCG Insurance systems SME’s, Onshore/Offshore Delivery staff and the client s sponsor and SME’s.
The project consisted of multiple phases that required a deep knowledge of the Business, the Claims Decisions platform, and the client legacy environment. Phases were as follows
- Requirements Analysis – Understanding what the client wanted to achieve from the project. This included a number of onsite workshops with the business sponsor, the users, the IT leadership and the data teams
- Design – After agreeing on the requirements, we presented the client with various Designs of the system, discussing the look and feel of screens and user configuration
- System Configuration – Claims decisions is a highly flexible system that can be configured to user requirements e.g. Drop downs etc. RCGS team managed to meet the users critical requirements
- Due to the AGILE Process, Testing was occurring throughout configuration phase
- Data Conversion – Due to the critical nature of Data Conversion to the project, RCG formed a separate team to undertake this activity. RCG mapped data from the legacy systems to the new Claims decision platform, using a staging environment,
- Integration Testing –
- System Rollout